The Training Division is responsible for all training required by sheriff’s office employees. It also conducts training for outside
law enforcement agencies. Instructors teach the following courses as well as some specialized training:
- Defensive Tactics and Baton
- NCIC and Records
The Training Division coordinates all POST certified and specialized training for 40-hour In-service training for sworn law enforcement officers
and reserves as well as all TCI certified and specialized training for 40-hour In-service training for correctional officers.
The Training Division of the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office functions as a component of the Administrative Division. The Training
Division is responsible for:
- Developing a 40 hour annual In-Service which maintains the certification of each officer as specified and required by the Tennessee P.O.S.T.
- Scheduling various Specialized Schools to be conducted for the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office.
- Making travel arrangements for officers attending out of town and State Specialized Schools.
- Ordering, maintaining, and issuing police equipment required for officers to perform their job effectively.
- Insuring state standards and qualifications are met for each officer.
- Staying knowledgeable of new laws, equipment, and developments in law enforcement.
- Is in charge of the firing range and ensures each officer knows how to handle and qualifies with their assigned weapon(s).
- Insure the highest level of professionalism within the department is achieved by increasing the officer’s ability, knowledge, and
skills in all areas. This is to also include enabling the officer to act decisively and correctly in any and all situations they encounter.
- Provide consistent training through out the entire department.
- To train the officers to serve the public in a consistent, efficient, and professional manner.
- Establish an annual budget and work within the budget requirements.
- Establish lesson plans and instruct various training classes.
- Maintaining records of those who attend various training and specialized schools.
Goals and Objectives
View the current Training Calendar.
- Keeping our most important asset, our people, safe.
- Empowering employees to meet their division goals & objectives.
- To provide an environment conducive to learning where employees want to train.
- To never leave out the basics.
Training Coordinator, Investigations Division
6233 Dayton Boulevard
Chattanooga, TN 37343
Phone: (423) 209-8957
Fax: (423) 209-8943