The Central Records Division is a central repository of records to meet the needs for the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office and other
law enforcement agencies and to the public when requested. To accomplish this goal it must maintain the highest level of up to date and accurate
information and comply with all state and national standards.
Central Records is responsible to:
- Maintain accurate and secure database of all law enforcement reports which includes jail files and folders.
- Transmit report to TIBRS (Tennessee Incident Based Reporting System) on crime in Tennessee. Maintain files on all certified TIES/NLETS/NCIC operators.
- Make entries into TCIC/NCIC on wanted persons and protection orders as well as validates records of same (800 NCIC entries in 2009).
- Assist public regarding copies of accident reports, etc.
- Send notifications to individuals and insurance companies regarding towed or wrecked vehicles.
- Process paperwork for criminal history background checks (1,000 in 2009), also includes handgun permit requests (2,300 in 2009).
- Do expungements of records from all agencies (Approximately 100 per month).