The Administrative Section is comprised of the following:
- Classification — responsible for determining the least restrictive custody level required for an inmate and their cell assignment.
- Sentence Management — responsible for requesting sentence computation, processing court dockets, monitoring holds,
detainers, notifications, and intra and interstate transfers.
- Fingerprint/Identification — responsible for processing the fingerprints and disposition forms for submission to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.
- Computer Services — responsible for developing and maintaining a variety of computer networks and systems for use by the Corrections Division personnel.
- Board Billing — responsible for computing and submitting prisoner board bills to the state and federal government for the expense of housing prisoners at the Hamilton County Jail.
- Inmate Accounts — responsible for verifying accuracy of inmate accounts and deposits.
The Booking Section is a twenty-four hour, seven day per week operation and is responsible for the intake and processing of all admissions
into the Hamilton County Jail.
The Booking Section is comprised of five posts: Intake, Data Entry, Fingerprint/ID, NCIC/RMS, and First Floor Operations.
The jail currently books approximately 20,000-25,000 detainees each year.
Inmates committed to the Hamilton County Jail are normally classified within eight days of their committal date. Each inmate is placed into the
least restrictive custody level possible. Inmate classification includes minimum, medium, medium close, and maximum custody levels. To ensure health
and safety, physical separation is maintained between the following categories:
- Adult and juvenile inmates.
Maximum custody inmates and those who may be violent or harmful to themselves or others.
- Special needs offenders (elderly, medical, mental health).
Protective custody inmates.
- Administratively as designated.
The Fingerprint/ID Section is responsible for disseminating the fingerprint packages and record copy of the arrest report to the appropriate
contributing law enforcement agency for which the inmate was incarcerated. The section processes and submits all of the fingerprints and R-84
disposition forms to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation for Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office arrests.
The Live-Scan system submits the fingerprint cards to the regional Automatic Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS) and to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.
601 Walnut Street
Chattanooga, TN 37402
Phone: (423) 209-7154
Fax: (423) 209-7155